NFL History Quotes
They Said It
| "If I have to integrate heaven, I don't want to go."
- Woody Strode, the first black player in the postwar NFL, 197129
| "That Jackie Robinson is the fastest man I've ever seen in uniform.... The only time I was worried about the game was when Robinson was in there."
- Chicago Bears defensive end Dick Plasman, after playing in an All-Star game against a team of collegians that included Jackie Robinson, 1941. Robinson played professional baseball rather than football because no NFL team would hire a black player in the early 1940s.30
| "If Jesus were alive today, he'd probably be at the Super Bowl."
- Dr. Norman Vincent Peale31
| "Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing."
- Green Bay Packers coach Vince Lombardi, 195932
| "We're going to win Sunday, I'll guarantee you."
- New York Jets quarterback Joe Namath, before Super Bowl III, 196933
| "The NFL is America's clothier. Walk down the street, and all you see are guys with jerseys on, hats, jackets, whatever it is."
- Sportswriter Dave Anderson34
| "There's nothing bigger than being asked to perform at the Super Bowl."
- Paul McCartney, 200535