Sample of Reading Quizzes
Questions1. What does Moshe the Beadle teach Eliezer?
2. Why is Moshe sent away?
3. What information does Moshe bring back when he finally returns to Signet?
4. How can you summarize the Nazis' gradual takeover of Signet?
5. What does Maria, their former maid, offer the Wiesel family?
Answers1. Moshe teaches Eliezer all about Kabbalah.
2. The Hungarian police force all the foreigners to leave the country. Moshe is not a native of Hungary, so he has to leave.
3. Moshe tells them that the Gestapo made them dig graves and shot everyone.
4. At first the Nazis don't seem so bad. They just live in people's homes, but eventually they start making strict guidelines. First Jews can't leave their houses for days. Then Jews must give up their valuables. Next Jews had to wear a star. Finally, all the Jews are moved to the ghetto.
5. She tells them that she has a hiding place ready if they want to use it to escape the Nazis.