Cite This Page
Northanger Abbey Chapter 21 Summary Page 1
- Catherine's guest room is very nice and not creepy at all. Catherine finds this lame.
- She wastes time exploring the room and finds an old heavy chest like the one Henry described in his faux Gothic adventure story.
- Catherine goes to investigate, but the maid comes in and startles her, causing her to slam the chest's lid shut loudly.
- Catherine goes back to explore and finds a bedspread folded up inside.
- Eleanor comes in and comments about the furniture and Catherine feels dumb.
- The two run down to dinner, where the General is stroking out about the time.
- He gets himself together and fakes being laid back and cool again. He then scolds Eleanor for rushing Catherine.
- Dinner is super-fancy.
- The General asks Catherine if she dines this well with the Allens, and she says no. This puts the General in a good mood.
- After dinner it really was a dark and stormy night.
- Catherine assures herself that there's no need to be nervous and boldly decides not to build up the fire to use as a nightlight.
- She takes her time getting ready for bed.
- The Catherine notices a black cabinet, which is like something Henry described in his faux Gothic horror adventure tale.
- Catherine feels the need to investigate but she can't open it. Way mysterious.
- Catherine struggles and finally manages to get the stupid thing open.
- She sees lots of smaller drawers inside. Ooh, the intrigue.
- Catherine searches around and finally finds some sheets of paper.
- Catherine is freaking out with excitement at living her very own Gothic adventure.
- But suddenly her candle blows out and it is very dark and stormy.
- Catherine is terrified and quickly jumps into bed. She has trouble falling asleep.