Northanger Abbey Chapter 27 Summary
- Finally, a letter arrives from Isabella.
- Isabella writes in circles and hints that James has made a huge mistake, that the whole Captain Tilney thing is a big misunderstanding, that the Captain is a jerk, and that people are spreading rumors.
- She asks Catherine to speak to James on her behalf.
- Catherine is appalled by what a shallow and artificial person Isabella is and realizes that she's a big liar.
- Catherine fills the Tilneys in on the latest developments and they are relieved that Frederick won't be stuck marrying Isabella, though Henry hints that Isabella's reputation is likely destroyed now.
- Catherine still can't figure out Frederick's motives and asks Henry if he was just behaving badly and likes getting into trouble. Henry concedes this point.
- Henry notes that Catherine is warped by a principle of general integrity and Catherine is flattered and forgets about being mad at Isabella and Frederick.
- She decides not to answer Isabella's letter.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search