Number the Stars
Number the Stars Chapter 12 Summary
Where Was Mama?
- Mrs. Johansen and the Rosens prepare to leave. She gives them instructions: they have to be super-silent and sneaky, and they can't draw any attention to themselves.
- Annemarie (or the narrator, it's hard to tell) observes how still and silent the entire evening is. That just seems to make things more important.
- Ellen and Annemarie have an emotional goodbye. Finally, the others leave and Annemarie is left behind.
- Deep breath.
- Annemarie waits, calculating what the others are doing and when her mother will return. She decides to wait up until her mom gets back—after all, it shouldn't take very long. Annemarie feels like her father who's also away from the action and just has to be patient.
- Annemarie accidentally dozes off, and when she wakes up she gets worried—it's past the time her mother should be back, but Mama didn't come to get her.
- She searches the farmhouse, and when she doesn't find her mother, she starts to get panicky (duh). Finally she realizes that her mom is outside—and that something is definitely wrong.