An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge
An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Did the ending surprise you? Why or why not?
- How long does it take for Farquhar to die?
- Why does the verb tense change from past tense to present tense in the second to last paragraph?
- The story demonstrates the protocol and enactment of military justice. Is Bierce commenting on military law?
- How should civilians who participate in war be treated? Like civilians? Like soldiers?
- Is Ambrose Bierce biased toward one side of the Civil War? Does the narrator describe the Union soldiers more positively than Farquhar, or vice versa?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search