Ode to My Socks
Ode to My Socks Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Why is the poem written in such short, choppy lines? How does this relate to its subject matter?
- How does "Ode to My Socks" differ from the traditional ode?
- How would the message of the poem be different if the speaker decided to save the socks and never wear them?
- The socks are compared to several different animals and objects in the poem. Which is the most effective, in your opinion? Why?
- Why do you think the poem is about socks? How would it be different if it were about shoes, for example?
- The speaker says that socks are doubly good and beautiful on a winter's day. What do you think would define good and beauty on a summer day?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...