Of Mice and Men
by John Steinbeck
Slim Timeline and Summary
- Slim comes into the bunkhouse and meets George and Lennie.
- Slim has given one of his pups to Lennie, unfortunately signing that puppy’s death warrant.
- Slim talks to George about why he is with Lennie. He recognizes that Lennie is just like a kid and not mean-intentioned at all.
- Slim says that Carlson should be allowed to shoot Candy’s dog. He (sensitively) reminds Carlson to take a shovel and bury the thing.
- Slim goes out to the barn.
- Slim comes back to the bunkhouse. Curley has been accusing Slim of messing around with his wife, so Slim is not too happy.
- He takes control of the situation once Lennie crushes Curley’s hand, and decides what should be done.
- It is not explicitly stated whether or not Slim goes to the brothel, but we assume that he does.
- Slim plays horseshoes with the guys.
- Slim sees Curley’s wife dead in the barn.
- Slim suggests that Curley stay with his wife instead of going on a manhunt. Curley is too filled with self-righteous anger to pay any attention to this wise suggestion.
- Slim tells George that it would be bad if Lennie got locked up like an animal.
- Slim takes care of George after the shooting, and reassures him that he did the right and necessary thing.
- Slim takes George to get a drink.