Oh, the Places You'll Go!
Oh, the Places You'll Go! Stanzas 3-4 Summary
Scary Green Monsters? Pah! You Don't Scare Us!
- Look at your kid, well on their way now, though they're still well within city limits. They're looking down one street after the next, and some of them are a little scary looking.
- But your kid doesn't mind (must have had good parents), not even when they see a whiskery green monster poking its incredibly long neck out of a pothole.
- They'll just head right out of town to where things are wide open for them to make the path they'll be happier about heading down. 'Cause that's the kind of kid they are.
- Stop. Rhythm break. Do you see how the lines got longer in stanza three, and there's more information stuffed inside? And in the second stanza they're a little shorter? That's because Dr. Seuss is changing up the rhythm.
- Your child doesn't need to know the big fancy name for this yet, but they should see the difference between what these two stanzas are doing. In the first, we're looking over your kid's big decisions, which takes a little more time and thought. In the second, they're getting into a little action, so all those words get out of our way.