Page (5 of 5) Quotes: 1 2 3 4 5
How we cite the quotes:
Citations follow this format: (Day.Paragraph). We artificially created chapters by defining "days," because there are no chapter breaks in Old Man and the Sea
. Here’s how we divided up the days:
- Day 1 = the start of the book until the old man falls asleep for the night
- Day 2 = begins when the old man wakes up and goes until sunrise of the next day
- Day 3 = begins at sunrise and goes until the old man dreams about the lions
- Day 4 = begins when the old man wakes and ends when the old man gets back to his shack for the night
- Day 5 = begins with the boy seeing the old man in the morning and goes until the end of the book
| Quote #13
"Now we fish together again."
"No. I am not lucky. I am not lucky anymore."
"The hell with luck," the boy said. "I’ll bring the luck with me." (5.35-5.37)
While at the beginning of the story, the old man and the boy allowed luck to separate them, the boy no longer cares about it.