The Old Man and the Sea
The Old Man and the Sea Pride Quotes
How we cite our quotes: Citations follow this format: (Day.Paragraph). We artificially created chapters by defining "days," because there are no chapter breaks in Old Man and the Sea. Here’s how we divided up the days:
- Day 1 = the start of the book until the old man falls asleep for the night
- Day 2 = begins when the old man wakes up and goes until sunrise of the next day
- Day 3 = begins at sunrise and goes until the old man dreams about the lions
- Day 4 = begins when the old man wakes and ends when the old man gets back to his shack for the night
- Day 5 = begins with the boy seeing the old man in the morning and goes until the end of the book
The boy is not too proud to cry in front of others. He sees no shame in his feelings for the old man.
By ending on a note of resilience, it is suggested that the old man, having suffered defeat in one form or another, still maintains his pride.