Page (6 of 6) Quotes: 1 2 3 4 5 6
How we cite the quotes:
Citations follow this format: (Day.Paragraph). We artificially created chapters by defining "days," because there are no chapter breaks in Old Man and the Sea
. Here’s how we divided up the days:
- Day 1 = the start of the book until the old man falls asleep for the night
- Day 2 = begins when the old man wakes up and goes until sunrise of the next day
- Day 3 = begins at sunrise and goes until the old man dreams about the lions
- Day 4 = begins when the old man wakes and ends when the old man gets back to his shack for the night
- Day 5 = begins with the boy seeing the old man in the morning and goes until the end of the book
| Quote #16
The boy is not too proud to cry in front of others. He sees no shame in his feelings for the old man.
By ending on a note of resilience, it is suggested that the old man, having suffered defeat in one form or another, still maintains his pride.