Oliver Twist Chapter 45 Summary
"Noah Claypole is Employed by Fagin on a Secret Mission"
- The next morning, Fagin gives a secret mission to Noah Claypole (a.k.a. Morris Bolter).
- Before giving him the details, Fagin flatters him on how well he’s been doing at robbing little kids. You know the expression, "easy as taking candy from a baby"? Yeah, well, that’s pretty much Noah’s job, and he’s awfully good at it.
- Fagin tells him that the secret mission will be to follow a woman around, and report back to Fagin about who she sees, and where she goes, and what she says.
- Of course Noah wants to know how much he’ll get paid, and Fagin offers him a pound for the job.
- Fagin explains that it’s one of their own gang, but that she’s found new friends, and that he must know who they are.
- Noah agrees to the mission immediately, and seems pretty jazzed about the idea of following some young woman around – says he was pretty good at that when he was back in school. Lovely.
- Fagin tells Noah that he’ll point out the young woman in question in a few days.
- The next Sunday, Fagin is certain that Nancy will sneak out, because Sikes is planning on being out all night.
- Fagin takes Noah to their house, and points her out as she leaves.
- Noah gets a good look at her as she passes a candle, and then follows her through the streets.