On the Road
Ed Dunkel Timeline and Summary
- Ed shows up in New York with Dean and Marylou.
- He, Dean, Sal, and Marylou drive furniture to Sal’s brother’s new house.
- He, Dean, Sal, and Marylou wash dishes to pay for their food.
- Ed tells the story of New Year’s Eve when he saw his dead mother.
- He is unable to explain his decisions to Carlo before they leave for New Orleans.
- Ed reveals another vision, but this time it’s his own ghost on the sidewalk.
- Ed offers to go to jail rather than pay a fine when they are pulled over for Dean’s atrocious driving.
- Ed arrives in New Orleans along with Sal, Marylou, and Dean.
- He gets back together with Galatea.
- He and Dean teach Sal how to hop freight trains.