On the Road
by Jack Kerouac
Old Bull Lee Timeline and Summary
- Bull calls Sal’s Aunt’s house, telling Sal, Dean, and Ed to get over to New Orleans and take care of Galatea.
- Bull’s history is revealed, which details his knowledge, his role as a teacher, his penchant for drugs and new experiences, and his love for Shakespeare and Mayan Codices.
- He smokes marijuana with the rest of the gang.
- He shows off his gun collection.
- His relationship with his wife is detailed as close and soulful.
- We meet his children.
- Bull takes the gang to a bunch of crappy bars to demonstrate that bars these days are no good.
- He psychoanalyzes Dean and decides that Dean is headed for disaster.
- He tells Sal that he ought to stay in New Orleans rather than continue on with Dean.
- Bull shoots up in the bathroom.
- He has fun throwing knives at a wooden target.
- Bull loses money at the racetrack and berates himself for not realizing the importance of Sal’s vision of his dead father.
- He shoots up in the bathroom again.