On the Road
by Jack Kerouac
On the Road Part 1, Chapter 5 Summary
- Our narrator has a whole seven dollars, so he spends five on his first night, because he hasn't learned his lesson from the last time. Last times.
- The narrator and Slim get drunk at a bar and the narrator hits on a waitress who says...no thanks.
- They meet two girls, one hot and one portly. The narrator, of course, goes for the hot one. He fails...again.
- He sleeps in the bus station, which is most certainly NOT helping him get a girl.
- He wakes up after sleeping for a bit, and his friend Slim is gone. But everything will be OK once he gets to Denver.
- The narrator is all pumped up about Colorado and to celebrate, he gets all hot and bothered over another waitress. No dice, though.
- He makes it to Larimer Street in Denver, quite ecstatically.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...