On the Road
by Jack Kerouac
On the Road Part 2, Chapter 10 Summary
- Sal and Marylou get a hotel room on credit, but Sal is disappointed at Dean for leaving them without money or resources.
- They have no food, just whisky.
- Turns out Marylou isn’t really into Sal, she just wanted to get at Dean through him. Which is so middle school.
- Sal reveals a dream where a big snake (Satan) eats everything in sight, and is then destroyed by a saint named Dr. Sax via some secret herbs. Also the snake might just be a bunch of peace-bearing doves in disguise.
- Marylou disappears with another man. Because, according to Sal, she’s a "whore."
- Sal is nearly delirious with hunger, and has a vision that a woman he passed is his "mother of about 200 years ago in England."
- The mother vision scolds him for his ways. His vision gets more vision-y, interweaving time, angels, his other visions, and death. Pretty mind-blowing stuff here.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...