On the Road
On the Road Part 3, Chapter 8 Summary
- Dean is screwed because he left his fingerprints all over the stolen cars. Time to peace out.
- Frankie again comments that Dean is like her crazy husband that left her.
- They go to a travel bureau and there’s an opportunity to drive a Cadillac. Uh-oh.
- The first thing Dean does is...pretend it’s his Cadillac to pick up a waitress.
- The second thing he does is break the speedometer when he passes 100 mph.
- By the way, there are some Jesuit boys in the back seat of the Cadillac and they’re headed for Chicago.
- Dean talks about how Beverly (the waitress he was hitting on) is going to come to New York and marry him as soon as he can divorce Camille.
- Everything will be OK once they get out of Denver.
- Dean takes a corner too fast and they end up in a ditch on the side of the road, with much swearing and anger from Sal.
- Sal explains to the boys in the back seat that Dean is his brother. We’ve heard this before.
- A farmer helps them out; his daughter is definitely the most beautiful girl they’ve ever seen. She’s sixteen.
- Dean recalls stories from his past as they travel. Again, we’ve heard this before.
- They stop to meet Dean’s old friend, Ed Wall, and Sal astutely comments that Ed used to be Dean’s "old brother" as he himself is now.
- Ed is convinced that Dean stole the Cadillac. If we didn’t know better, that would have been our first guess, too.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search