On the Road
Cite This Page
On the Road Part 3, Chapter 9 Summary Page 1
- On the road again, Dean muses that, with a car like the Cadillac, they could drive all the way down to the bottom of South America, because the road leads to the whole world. Yeah...except for that whole Pacific Ocean detail.
- Dean reveals that he has never been to Chicago, so heads in that direction at about 110 mph.
- Sal remarks that Dean has fits of madness, but can also contain it at times.
- Dean tells more about his law-escaping, jail-time enduring, car-stealing past.
- He reveals the story of when he met Marylou; she was fifteen. And they had a lot of sex that night.
- They pass a bunch of homeless men and Dean wonders whether his father is among them.
- They race a Chicago hipster guy in a Buick with his mother. Dean and Sal win.
- Dean, now referred to as "The Angel of Terror" by Sal, continues to drive like, well, an angel of terror.
- Sal can’t take the speed anymore, and retires to the back seat.
- They have a minor incident involving a water bag and some ogling of breasts.
- The man they hit tells the cops that it was a hit-and-run by boys in a stolen car, even though they had stopped to discuss the incident with him.
- They pass the Mississippi River...again.
- Dean gets through traffic jam at 110 mph, and they finally make it to Chicago.