Emily Webb Timeline and Summary
- George congratulates Emily on her speech on the Louisiana Purchase. He asks her if she would help him with homework.
- Emily asks her mom whether she thinks she’s pretty.
- Emily gives George a hint about the homework, telling him that the answer is in square yards of wallpaper.
- Emily stays up late enjoying the moonlight and the smell of Mrs. Gibbs’s heliotropes.
- Emily is asleep on the morning of her wedding day.
- Memory of how Emily got together with George: Emily is nominated the class secretary and treasurer. It is the last day of the school year.
- Emily lets George carry her books.
- Emily tells George that he’s been acting conceited lately. She immediately feels bad for admitting it.
- Emily implies that she likes George. They go to Mr. Morgan’s drugstore for strawberry ice-cream sodas, George’s treat.
- On her wedding day, Emily balks. She claims that she wants to stay young.
- She gets married to George anyway.
- Emily has died from giving birth to her second child.
- She goes to the cemetery plot where her body will rest. Emily sits next to Mrs. Gibbs.
- Emily wishes to return to her old life. She and the Stage Manager go back to her twelfth birthday. She watches her parents interact.
- Emily wishes to return back to the cemetery. It is too hard to spend time among the ignorant living.
Next Page: George Gibbs Timeline
Previous Page: Stage Manager