George Gibbs Timeline and Summary
- George tosses and catches a baseball in the street. He compliments Emily on the speech she gave in class.
- George asks Emily if she would help him with homework from time to time.
- George leaves to go to the baseball field.
- George signals to Emily from his window. He asks for help on the third problem in homework.
- George has been elected class president.
- He offers to carry Emily’s books, and walks with her.
- George asks Emily why she’s been acting coldly towards him. He appreciates it when she tells him the truth.
- George invites Emily to the drugstore to get ice cream sodas. He buys them strawberry ice-cream phosphates… on credit.
- George decides that he will not go to agriculture school. He would rather stay with Emily. He asks Emily whether she feels the same way about him.
- Wedding Day: George goes over to the Webb house to talk with Emily.
- George talks with Mr. Webb about being a groom.
- George goes back home, dejected from not having seen Emily.
- At the ceremony, George hesitates. He tells his mom that he doesn’t want to grow old, but he snaps out of it pretty quickly.
- George and Emily are married.
- George visits Emily’s gravesite after her funeral. He throws himself on the ground in front of her grave.