Stage Manager Timeline and Summary
- The Stage Manager sets up the stage with minimal props.
- The Stage Manager breaks the fourth wall and says hi to the audience. He introduces the play and Grover’s Corners to the audience.
- The Stage Manager shows us the gardens and the houses of the Webb and Gibbs families.
- The Stage Manager tells us how Doc Gibbs and Mrs. Gibbs died.
- As an eleven-year-old Joe Crowell delivers milk, the Stage Manager tells us of Joe’s future: he graduates high school at the head of his class, gets a scholarship and graduates at the head of his class at MIT… all that, only to die fighting in France during WWI.
- The Stage Manager asks Professor Willard and Mr. Webb to give more information about Grover’s Corners.
- The Stage Manager says that a new bank is being built in Grover’s Corners. A friend of his is compiling things to put in a time capsule in the cornerstone of the building. The Stage Manager is determined to have a copy of Our Town put in the cornerstone so people know about the day-to-day workings of a small American town.
- The Stage Manager invites those who smoke to do so, leading into the first pause of the performance.
- The Stage Manager takes us back to when Emily and George first knew that they were meant for each other.
- When Emily and George go to Morgan’s drugstore, the Stage Manager adopts the role of Mr. Morgan.
- The Stage Manager returns us to the day of Emily and George's wedding. He now plays the role of the minister.
- The Stage Manager offers his opinion that weddings are rarely interesting.
- The happy newlyweds run down the aisle, and the Stage Manager calls for intermission.
- The Stage Manager shows us the cemetery, especially the new part with Mrs. Gibbs, Simon Stimson, Mrs. Soames, and Wallace Webb in the ground.
- The Stage Manager goes back with Emily as she revisits her old house and life and watches her parents interact.
- At the play’s end, the Stage Manager bids the audience a good night.
Next Page: Emily Webb Timeline