Cite This Page
Dante Alighieri Timeline and Summary
- Dante invokes Apollo and the Muses to help him remember and compose his poem.
- He and Beatrice arrive in the First Heaven: sphere of the Moon.
- Dante attempts to explain why there are moon-spots on the moon. Beatrice vigorously corrects him.
- Dante mistakes souls for reflections of corporeal spirits.
- Dante meets Piccarda Donati and learns about vows.
- Dante and Beatrice arrive in the Second Heaven: sphere of Mercury.
- He meets Justinian.
- They arrive in the Third Heaven: sphere of Venus.
- He meets Charles Martel and learns about providence.
- They arrive in the Fourth Heaven: sphere of the Sun.
- A crown of souls surrounds him and Beatrice.
- St. Thomas teaches him about St. Francis.
- St. Bonaventure teaches him about St. Dominic.
- St. Thomas teaches him about King Solomon and warns him against hasty judgments.
- King Solomon teaches him about the light of the souls.
- He and Beatrice arrive in the Fifth Heaven: sphere of Mars.
- He sees the starry Cross.
- Cacciaguida teaches Dante about his noble bloodline, ancient Florence, and his destiny.
- Dante is proud of his bloodline.
- He and Beatrice arrive in the Sixth Heaven: sphere of Jupiter.
- He sees the message about justice and watches the Eagle form.
- The Eagle teaches Dante about Divine Justice and introduces the six spirits in its eye.
- He and Beatrice arrive in the Seventh Heaven: sphere of Saturn.
- Dante sees the golden ladder and meets St. Peter Damian.
- Dante meets St. Benedict.
- He gazes down towards Earth.
- He and Beatrice arrive in the Eighth Heaven: sphere of the Fixed Stars.
- He witnesses the coronation of Mary and the re-ascent of Christ and Mary.
- St. Peter examines Dante on faith.
- St. James examines Dante on hope.
- St. John examines Dante on charity, while he is blind.
- Adam answers Dante's questions.
- He and Beatrice arrive in the Ninth Heaven: Primum Mobile.
- Dante witnesses the model of the nine Angelic Intelligences and Beatrice explains to him its relation to the material universe.
- Beatrice tells Dante the Creation story.
- They arrive in the Tenth Heaven: the Empyrean.
- Dante witnesses the Celestial Rose.
- Dante is surprised at Beatrice's disappearance and St. Bernard's appearance.
- St. Bernard explains the placement of the blessed in the Celestial Rose.
- St. Bernard prays on Dante's behalf to Mary to see God.
- Dante sees the image of God in the Holy Trinity.