A Perfect Day for Bananafish
Cite This Page
Muriel Glass Timeline and Summary
- While waiting for a phone line to open up, Muriel reads a magazine article, moves a button on her blouse, and paints her nails.
- While on the phone with her mother, Muriel repeats over and over that she's fine. It soon becomes clear that her husband, Seymour, has some sort of mental illness. While this concerns her mother, it doesn't seem to worry Muriel too much.
- Muriel giggles over Seymour's nickname for her, "Miss Spiritual Tramp of 1948."
- She asks her mother if she left the book of German poems Seymour gave her at home, as she can't find it.
- They discuss Dr. Sivetski and his opinion of Seymour. We find out that Muriel waited for Seymour while he was in the army during the war.
- Muriel tells her mother that there is a therapist staying at the hotel, though she hasn't had time to talk with him seriously about Seymour.
- The two women move on to chatting about clothes and fashion. Muriel's mother makes one last plea for Muriel to come home before hanging up. Muriel insists everything is fine.