The Perks of Being a Wallflower
by Stephen Chbosky
The Perks of Being a Wallflower Part 2, Chapter 5 Summary
How It All Goes Down
November 18, 1991
- Charlie's brother cancels his trip home for Thanksgiving.
- How does his mother cope with this? Retail therapy. She takes Charlie clothes shopping. She also agrees to have Sam and Patrick over for dinner sometime. They'll be Charlie's first dinner guests since Michael.
- Speaking of Michael, Charlie thinks about the time they used to do what all teenage boys do: peep into their neighbors' windows. The two peeping Toms would try to figure out each family's story.
- To us, it almost seems like Michael is window shopping for a new family of his own.
- After telling that story, Charlie lets his reader know that Michael's parents divorced, as many parents do if their child dies.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...