The Perks of Being a Wallflower Part 3, Chapter 9 Summary
How It All Goes Down
March 7, 1992
- According to Charlie, "Girls are weird" (3.9.2). At least, that's what he thinks after his second date with Mary Elizabeth.
- Before the date, Charlie's dad gives him a little father-son talk. Dad seems to be glad that Charlie isn't kissing boys anymore, which he did when he was much younger.
- On to the date! Charlie and Mary Elizabeth go to see a foreign language film and then go to a record store.
- Mary Elizabeth buys Charlie a Billie Holiday record, and they go to Mary Elizabeth's house to listen to the music and drink brandy. Underage drinking and records—what is this, 1991?
- One thing leads to another, and they do "everything you can do from the stomach up" (3.9.51).
- Mary Elizabeth asks Charlie if he thinks she's pretty, and he says she is "very pretty" (3.9.55). Before they do much more, they hear her parents come home.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...