The Perks of Being a Wallflower Part 3, Chapter 9 Summary
How It All Goes Down
March 7, 1992
- According to Charlie, "Girls are weird" (3.9.2). At least, that's what he thinks after his second date with Mary Elizabeth.
- Before the date, Charlie's dad gives him a little father-son talk. Dad seems to be glad that Charlie isn't kissing boys anymore, which he did when he was much younger.
- On to the date! Charlie and Mary Elizabeth go to see a foreign language film and then go to a record store.
- Mary Elizabeth buys Charlie a Billie Holiday record, and they go to Mary Elizabeth's house to listen to the music and drink brandy. Underage drinking and records—what is this, 1991?
- One thing leads to another, and they do "everything you can do from the stomach up" (3.9.51).
- Mary Elizabeth asks Charlie if he thinks she's pretty, and he says she is "very pretty" (3.9.55). Before they do much more, they hear her parents come home.
Next Page: Part 3, Chapter 10
Previous Page: Part 3, Chapter 8