Cite This Page
Anne Elliot Timeline and Summary
- Anne Elliot was once in love with Captain Wentworth, but Lady Russell convinced her to give him up, and she’s lived with her regret ever since.
- Anne’s father Sir Walter rents the Elliot home to the Crofts, and Anne finds out that Mrs. Croft is Captain Wentworth’s sister.
- The Elliots leave for Bath, while Anne goes to stay with her married sister, Mary Musgrove.
- Anne frequently encounters Captain Wentworth, who has become popular with the Musgroves.
- While Wentworth flirts with the Musgrove girls, especially Louisa, Anne tries to calm her strong emotions concerning him.
- Captain Wentworth takes the Musgroves and Anne to visit his friends Captain Harville and Captain Benwick in Lyme.
- When Louisa has an accident, Anne directs everyone as to how best to take action.
- Anne returns to the Musgroves’ home in Uppercross to help them out while Louisa is recovering.
- Lady Russell takes Anne to her family in Bath.
- There Anne meets her cousin Mr. Elliot, who flirts with her.
- Anne visits an old school friend, Mrs. Smith, who is cheerful despite her misfortunes.
- By refusing an invitation to the home of their high-born relations the Dalrymples in order to visit Mrs. Smith, Anne incurs her father’s wrath.
- Anne tries to convince Lady Russell that Mr. Elliot’s not for her.
- In a letter from her sister Mary, Anne learns that Louisa is engaged to Captain Benwick.
- Anne talks to the Admiral about Louisa’s shift in affections and its effect on Wentworth.
- Anne runs into Wentworth in a candy shop, but has to leave him to walk home with Mr. Elliot.
- Worry about how Lady Russell will react to re-meeting Wentworth occupies Anne’s mind.
- Anne meets Wentworth at a concert, and talks about the events in Lyme.
- Anne realizes that Wentworth still loves her.
- At a break in the concert, Anne tries to get Wentworth’s attention, but jealousy of Mr. Elliot keeps him away.
- The next day Anne visits Mrs. Smith, who tells her all about Mr. Elliot’s villainous history.
- When Anne next encounters Mr. Elliot, she politely snubs him.
- Anne visits the Musgroves, who are now staying in Bath, and there sees Captain Harville and Captain Wentworth.
- Anne speaks briefly with Captain Wentworth, but is interrupted.
- The next day Anne visits the Musgroves again, and again encounters Harville and Wentworth.
- Anne and Harville discuss gender and constancy in love.
- Anne finds a letter left for her by Wentworth.
- Reading the letter, Anne discovers it to be a declaration of Wentworth’s love for her.
- Anne walks home with Charles, but they run into Captain Wentworth, and Charles leaves the two of them alone.
- Anne and Wentworth discuss their past and profess their undying love as they slowly walk back to Anne’s house.
- Anne gets her family’s unenthusiastic permission to marry Wentworth, and then does so.