The Picture of Dorian Gray
Cite This Page
Sybil Vane Timeline and Summary
- Dorian sees Sibyl at a performance of Romeo and Juliet and falls in love with the actress after he comes backstage; she dubs him "Prince Charming."
- Sibyl and Dorian quickly become engaged.
- James comes to visit her before sailing away for Australia.
- They go on a walk through the park together and Sibyl fantasizes about James' future.
- She denies that Prince Charming is any threat to her.
- On the night when Dorian, Lord Henry, and Basil have come to watch her perform, Sibyl performs badly.
- Backstage, she tells Dorian joyously that she has realized the farce of the stage now that real love has entered her life.
- Dorian breaks up with her brutally, despite her crying and begging.
- Sibyl commits suicide by poison.