The Pigman Chapter 3 Summary
- John comments that Lorraine remembers the big words, and he remembers the action, which makes sense since she wants to be a writer and he wants to be an actor.
- John starts to relate how he and Lorraine met the Pigman. Sometimes they used to get together after school with two classmates (John calls them "amoebae"), Dennis Kobin and Norton Kelly, and make prank phone calls to strangers.
- They have to do this at Dennis's or Norton's house, since Lorraine's mother won't let her have friends over, and his father ("whom I warmly refer to as Bore") has put a lock on the phone to prevent John from using it. John filled the keyhole with airplane glue, so now no one can use it.
- The idea of the "telephone marathon" was to randomly pick out a stranger's name from the phone book, with eyes closed, call that person, and try to keep him or her on the phone as long as possible.
- John says that he wasn't good at the telephone marathon, because he would always burst out laughing. Dennis holds the record: 2 hours and 26 minutes.
- John points out that, although Lorraine blames him for "all the other things," it was Lorraine who picked out Mr. Pignati's number. He would have died anyway, John concludes. "You can't really say we murdered him. Not murdered him."