The Poisonwood Bible
by Barbara Kingsolver
The Poisonwood Bible Questions
- Rachel says, "You can't just sashay into the jungle aiming to change it all over to the Christian style, without expecting the jungle to change you right back" (6.1.18). How did the jungle change each member of the Price family?
- Leah observes that her "mother and father hardened so differently, when they turned to stone" (5.1.12). What does she mean by turn to stone, and how did they do it differently?
- Why is Leah so devoted to her father despite never receiving attention from him?
- Is Rachel really as ignorant as she acts?
- When Adah "loses her slant" does she change as a person?
- Which members of the Price family grow and change? Which remain static?
- We never hear from Nathan Price. Why does Kingsolver tell this story through only the women in the family?
- Which sister do you identify with most?
- If you had to spend a year in the Congo, what is the one item you would absolutely take with you? (Mosquito netting will be supplied for you, so pick something else.)
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...