The Portrait of a Lady
Cite This Page
The Portrait of a Lady Chapter 12 Summary Page 1
- Isabel stands, not wanting Lord Warburton to sit with her. They begin taking a stroll.
- It’s clear that Lord Warburton has something specific on his mind.
- Surprise! Lord Warburton professes his love for Isabel. He asks her to marry him.
- Isabel reflects on how romantic and perfect the moment would have seemed to her three months ago. Right now, though, she’s just not into it.
- Isabel promises Lord Warburton that she will consider his proposal, and not take too long before giving him an answer.
- Lord Warburton confesses that he’s afraid of Isabel’s mind. Isabel admits that she is, too.
- Forlorn, Lord Warburton tells Isabel that they don’t have to live at Lockleigh if she doesn’t like the moat – they can go anywhere. Overcome with disappointment, he leaves.
- Isabel, left alone again, knows that she won’t marry Lord Warburton.
- Reflecting upon her choice, Isabel fears for herself.