Pride and Prejudice
Elizabeth Bennet Timeline and Summary
- Elizabeth Bennet meets Mr. Darcy and it's love—oops, we mean hate—at first sight.
- While taking care of Jane at Netherfield, Elizabeth manages to make Miss Bingley jealous and Darcy fall in love with her, all without lifting a finger. Nice work!
- Lizzy meets Wickham and finds him charming, so she immediately believes him when he says that Darcy refused to give Wickham the inheritance he deserved and left him penniless with no means to support himself.
- Elizabeth refuses Mr. Collins's proposal of marriage. Emphatically. Several times. So, she's shocked and horrified when Charlotte accepts a proposal from Mr. Collins.
- Still, she visits the Collinses after Charlotte's married and meets Lady Catherine de Bourgh, who is Darcy's aunt.
- And hey, Darcy's there!
- The two engage in some verbal sparring, and Darcy, obviously, proposes.
- Elizabeth is like, "Um, what? No."
- The next morning, Darcy hands her a letter. When Lizzy reads it, she realizes she was horribly mistaken about him and about Wickham.
- Elizabeth begins traveling with her only normal relations: the Gardiners.
- They check out the sweet house and grounds at Pemberley (Darcy's estate), and Elizabeth accidentally bumps into Darcy.
- Surprisingly, he's actually kind of … pleasant. And he's got that really nice house.
- But soon, tragedy strikes: Lydia has run off with Wickham.
- Luckily, Wickham and Lydia end up married, so the family's reputation is saved.
- Elizabeth learns that Darcy is responsible for paying Wickham off and forcing him to marry Lydia.
- Lady Catherine de Bourgh visits and threatens to stop any possible engagement between Darcy and Elizabeth.
- Darcy and Elizabeth get engaged anyway. Take that, bossy rich lady!