Pride and Prejudice
by Jane Austen
Jane Bennet Timeline and Summary
- At the first ball, Mr. Bingley dances with Jane twice.
- When Jane visits Netherfield at Miss Bingley's invitation, her mother encourages her to ride on horseback so that she has to stay all night if it rains. It does rain and Jane gets sick. She ends up staying at Netherfield for several days.
- Jane is heartbroken when reports reach her that Mr. Bingley does not intend to return from London. It's clear their relationship is over.
- Jane goes to London for three months to visit her aunt, Mrs. Gardiner. She hopes she will see Mr. Bingley, but Miss Bingley makes it clear that she no longer wishes to keep up the friendship.
- When Mr. Bingley returns to Netherfield after Lydia's marriage, it is clear to everybody that he and Jane will be married at last.
- Mr. Bingley and Jane get engaged, and Jane feels like the happiest woman in the world.