Pride and Prejudice
by Jane Austen
Mr. Wickham Timeline and Summary
- Mr. Wickham arrives in Meryton with his regiment. He entertains Elizabeth with stories about the despicable Mr. Darcy, who denied him his rightful inheritance and made him a penniless beggar who had to join the military for his living.
- Mr. Wickham charms the entire town of Meryton. After Mr. Darcy leaves the neighborhood, he spreads his sob story about Darcy's cruelty far and wide.
- Elizabeth learns that Mr. Wickham had tried to seduce Mr. Darcy's fifteen-year-old sister the summer before.
- Mr. Wickham is nervous to learn that Elizabeth spent time with Mr. Darcy while she was visiting Mr. and Mrs. Collins.
- Mr. Wickham and Lydia run off together.
- Mr. Darcy bribes Mr. Wickham to marry Lydia.
- Mr. Wickham and Lydia visit Longbourn before they leave for the north, where he is now stationed.