Pride and Prejudice
Pride and Prejudice Chapter 21 Summary
- The next day, after breakfast, the girls walk to Meryton, where Elizabeth finds out that Wickham couldn't bear to be in the same room as Mr. Darcy.
- Elizabeth approves and, after he walks her home, she introduces him to her parents.
- Not too long afterward, Jane receives a letter from Miss Bingley. At first, Jane tells Elizabeth that the letter says only that they (Mr. Bingley, Miss Bingley, and Mr. and Mrs. Hurst) have left Netherfield for London and do not intend to return soon.
- It soon transpires, however, that they are also going to London to renew their acquaintance with Georgiana Darcy (Mr. Darcy's sister), who Miss Bingley has a sisterly affection for.
- Jane says, "Wow, what a good friend for telling me all this." Elizabeth says, "Wow, what a backstabber."
- Elizabeth argues that Miss Bingley knows her brother is falling in love with Jane and wants to prevent him from marrying into the socially inferior Bennet family.
- It's cool, though. Elizabeth is convinced that Mr. Bingley will return and ask Jane to marry him. But Jane isn't so sure.
- To avoid a Mrs. Bennet freakout, they tell their mom only that the Bingley family has left. They leave out the part where they're not planning to return.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search