The Prince Chapter 1 Summary
Different kinds of states and how to conquer them
- Okay, here's how it is. There are two types of governments: republics (that's the U.S.) and monarchies (that's England, sort of).
- Now, there are new monarchies or old ones, and new monarchies can be either totally new (if a democracy suddenly got a king) or sort of new (if a king just added some land to his kingdom).
- It looks kind of like this:
- New Monarchies
- Brand-spanking New Monarchies
- Sort of New Monarchies
- Old Monarchies
- Now, when you're doing this whole conquering thing—yes, you, since only princes or rulers can read this book—there are a few things to keep in mind: the place you are conquering either already had a ruler or they are used to governing themselves. Also, when you conquer them, you can do it yourself or get someone else to do it; and you might be lucky or you might work hard. These are all of the ways to conquer a place.
- Got it? No? Well that's what the rest of the book is for.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...