The Prisoner of Chillon: A Fable
Stanza 11 Summary
Get out the microscope, because we’re going through this poem line-by-line.
- The speaker's life changes after his brother dies – the jailers start being nicer.
- He's not sure why they get more sympathetic, since they're so used to seeing miserable people in the dungeons.
- They let him stay loose in the dungeon, and leave his broken chain hanging on his pillar.
- He's free to walk around as he chooses, and he paces all over.
- He walks around and around the seven pillars in the cell, only avoiding stepping on the graves of his two brothers.
- Whenever he accidentally comes anywhere near to stepping on one of their graves, he starts hyperventilating, and feels like his heart will break.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search