The Prisoner of Chillon: A Fable
Stanza 11 Summary
Get out the microscope, because we’re going through this poem line-by-line.
- The speaker's life changes after his brother dies – the jailers start being nicer.
- He's not sure why they get more sympathetic, since they're so used to seeing miserable people in the dungeons.
- They let him stay loose in the dungeon, and leave his broken chain hanging on his pillar.
- He's free to walk around as he chooses, and he paces all over.
- He walks around and around the seven pillars in the cell, only avoiding stepping on the graves of his two brothers.
- Whenever he accidentally comes anywhere near to stepping on one of their graves, he starts hyperventilating, and feels like his heart will break.