The Prisoner of Chillon: A Fable
Stanza 12 Summary
Get out the microscope, because we’re going through this poem line-by-line.
- The speaker makes himself a little step in the wall, but it's not to escape.
- After all, everyone the world that he ever loved is dead, so what's the purpose in trying to escape?
- The whole world would just be a bigger prison for him if he ever gained his freedom.
- He's actually glad that he has no family in the world, because thinking of them would have driven him crazy.
- He just made himself the step so that he can climb up and look through the bars in the window to see the mountains in the distance.