Stanza 12 Summary
Get out the microscope, because we’re going through this poem line-by-line.
- The speaker makes himself a little step in the wall, but it's not to escape.
- After all, everyone the world that he ever loved is dead, so what's the purpose in trying to escape?
- The whole world would just be a bigger prison for him if he ever gained his freedom.
- He's actually glad that he has no family in the world, because thinking of them would have driven him crazy.
- He just made himself the step so that he can climb up and look through the bars in the window to see the mountains in the distance.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...