We're from the crème de la crème PhD and Masters programs.
- A majority of our writers are PhDs and PhD candidates from top universities like Stanford, UC Berkeley, and Yale.
- Our writers are a diverse bunch, including women and men all over the world. Korea? Check. Patagonia? Check. The Marshall Islands? Check. Shmoop is everywhere.
- We come from all different backgrounds, including African American, Asian American, and Israeli.
- Our editorial team consists of PhDs and Masters from Stanford and other top universities.
- Most of our writers have taught at the high school or university level. Teaching is close to our hearts.
We're hopelessly devoted to our topics.
- Our writers are academic specialists in everything from African-American literature to 19th-century American politics to Egyptian mythology.
We choose our team carefully.
- Shmoop has a rigorous and highly selective process to select new contributors.
Do you have stellar academic chops and a sense of humor? Check out our jobs page.
David Siminoff, Shmoop Literature lead:
Honors in English from Stanford; studied English literature at Oxford; MFA from USC School of
Cinema and Television; MBA from Stanford; published author and award-winning screenwriter.
Deb Tennen, Shmoop Literature lead:
BA (summa cum laude) in religion and Italian from Middlebury College; MA from Middlebury College School in Italy.
Ph.D. work in Italian literature at Stanford; published research author; published People magazine letter-to-the-editor author.