Pygmalion Study Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Why did Pygmalion swear off women? Was he right to do so?
- Pygmalion could have sculpted anything in his studio, but instead he chose to make his ideal woman. Why?
- If you had a friend who had a crush on a statue, what would you tell them? (Be nice!)
- Could you ever fall in love with someone who you've never had a conversation with? Is that a recipe for a lasting relationship?
- At the festival, Pygmalion asks Aphrodite to send him a bride similar to his statue, even though he really wants his creation to just come to life. Why didn't he just ask for what he really wanted?
- Why do you think Aphrodite grants Pygmalion his wish?
- Once she's alive, the statue decides to marry Pygmalion. What do you think she sees in him?
- What does this story tell us about the importance of beauty in ancient Greek culture? Can it help us think about our own ideas about beauty?
- Unlike most Greek myths, Pygmalion is rewarded for rejecting the real world. What is different about this myth that allows that to happen?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search