Pygmalion Study Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Why did Pygmalion swear off women? Was he right to do so?
- Pygmalion could have sculpted anything in his studio, but instead he chose to make his ideal woman. Why?
- If you had a friend who had a crush on a statue, what would you tell them? (Be nice!)
- Could you ever fall in love with someone who you've never had a conversation with? Is that a recipe for a lasting relationship?
- At the festival, Pygmalion asks Aphrodite to send him a bride similar to his statue, even though he really wants his creation to just come to life. Why didn't he just ask for what he really wanted?
- Why do you think Aphrodite grants Pygmalion his wish?
- Once she's alive, the statue decides to marry Pygmalion. What do you think she sees in him?
- What does this story tell us about the importance of beauty in ancient Greek culture? Can it help us think about our own ideas about beauty?
- Unlike most Greek myths, Pygmalion is rewarded for rejecting the real world. What is different about this myth that allows that to happen?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...