- How do you feel about Guy as a narrator? Does he do a good job of explaining why North Korea is the way it is? What does he do well? What do you wish he explored more?
- How does Guy’s animation job work as a microcosm for North Korea?
- What parallels are there between George Orwell’s 1984 (the book Guy brings on his trip) and North Korea?
- What does the paper airplane symbolize? Freedom? Control? Guy Delisle’s littering habit?
- Do Guy’s friends have distinct personalities, or are they as interchangeable as he makes the North Koreans out to be?
- How does Guy’s capitalistic nature put him at odds with the North Koreans?
- If you had the opportunity to travel to North Korea, would you? If you would, what would you want to do there?
- What would be the worst part of living in North Korea?
- Is capitalism the answer to North Korea’s problems, or is it part of the problem itself?
- How does Pyongyang encourage you to think for yourself?