Rabbit, Run Chapter 14 Summary
- Lucy Eccles wakes Rabbit up.
- It’s almost 12:30 in the afternoon, and Eccles asked to make sure Rabbit knows visiting hours end at 3:00 p.m. Rabbit’s not pleased to put on his dirty clothes.
- He goes to the kitchen. He thinks Lucy looks away because he’s in just an undershirt.
- He drinks orange juice and agrees to eat Cheerios. He asks about Freud.
- She says her daughter is napping because they were up all morning wanting to see Rabbit, “the naughty man.” He wants to know why they thought he was naughty.
- She says Eccles told them that, but that he wasn’t going to be naughty anymore.
- Eccles’ family knows the people he is trying to help and has nicknames for all of them.
- Rabbit’s is “the naughty man.”
- Rabbit laughs as she tells him about someone with the nickname “Happy Beans.”
- She puts too much milk in his cereal, not like Ruth, who lets him pour his own.
- She says Eccles is so happy about Rabbit’s reform, as if it’s something he did.
- Rabbit doesn’t understand this. Neither does Lucy, but she knows the situation burdened Eccles. She wants to know why Jack likes him. He says he’s “loveable.”
- They banter. Rabbit thinks, “She is a naughty girl.”
- She asks how his transformation feels – to prepare her, in case she ever does “reform” like Eccles wants. He says he doesn’t feel very different.
- She says he seems different. He’s irritated that she says it, but knows it’s true.
- He feels like it matters that he is on this particular path now. He realizes that Lucy wants him. He thinks lovingly of Janice’s sweetness in the hospital.
- He wants to know how far the bus stop is, and she apologizes that she can’t drive him.
- Joyce comes down. She wants to know if Rabbit’s chest is his “boo-zim.”
- Lucy tells her that she already told her men don’t have bosoms.
- He puts on his shirt and thanks her, not wanting to go, wishing she would give him a ride, and really wanting to be in a car with her.
- He looks at her breasts and then at her face and she gives him the wink.
- His chest feels funny when he leaves.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search