Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH Chapter 16 Summary
- The rats learn that Dr. Schultz is an expert on brains and that he wants to figure out what the injections do to the rats' gray matter.
- So he tells George and Julie to watch for signs of learning and greater intelligence.
- One day, George opens Nicodemus's cage door and appears to let him free.
- Nicodemus runs like a bat out of you know where, but suddenly he receives a shock and jumps back in surprise.
- Ahhhh. Nicodemus soon figures out that he is in a maze that is designed to test his intelligence.
- Even though Nicodemus understands that the scientists are not setting him free, he keeps trying different exits, everyday, because he just can't resist the chance at freedom.
- In addition to the maze, the scientists also do other activities with the rats, like shape recognition. Sounds fun, huh? (Not.)
- One rat in the group refuses to give up on escaping. This rat is Justin.
- He makes an attempt the next morning, but it seems almost as if the scientists were expecting it.
- Since they're one step ahead of him, Julie just scoops him up and puts him back in the cage.
- Dr. Schultz remarks on how much smarter the Justin/Nicodemus/Jenner group is than the other lab groups.
- He also thinks that Justin probably won't try to escape again.
- Ah, but Dr. Schultz is wrong about that, that's for sure.