Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH Chapter 24 Summary
Seven Dead Rats
- Mrs. Frisby watches the FitzGibbons eating dinner, from the inside of a birdcage. A room with a view, indeed.
- Billy asks if he can keep her as a pet and his mother says that he can keep "it" for a few days. Harsh.
- Paul tells Billy that she will die in captivity because she is a wild animal.
- Meanwhile poor Mrs. Frisby's in full on panic mode, as she worries about her kiddos, who've been left all alone
- Mr. FitzGibbon starts to tell a story about a strange event at the hardware store: seven rats were electrocuted while fiddling around with some motors in the store.
- Mrs. Frisby listens hard, knowing that the rats need this information.
- He then goes on to explain that the newspaper wrote an article about it, with the headline MECHANIZED RATS INVADE HARDWARE STORE.
- After that story runs, a group of government men came to the store to investigate.
- Paul says that he thinks it's because the government is afraid that the rats have rabies, but Mrs. Frisby knows differently—they're worried that their super-rats are taking over.
- Mr. FitzGibbon says that those same men are coming to the farm "the day after tomorrow" to exterminate their rats and tear up the rosebush. Uh oh—red alert!
- Mrs. Frisby knows she has to get out of that cage and share the information before its too late.
- But hey, at least something went right: Dragon's dead asleep in the corner, out like a light.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search