Ready Player One
by Ernest Cline
Ready Player One Chapter 12 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- The next morning, the media is ablaze with news that two people have found the Copper Key within hours of each other. It's kind of a big deal.
- A report interviews Ogden Morrow, Halliday's former best friend, who calls the media "vultures" (12.24) and IOI (who's also searching for the egg) a "fascist multinational conglomerate" (12.32). Since IOI runs the network, they cut him off pretty quickly.
- Og's interview leads Wade to some more exposition on the tumultuous relationship between Halliday and Ogden Morrow. They had a falling out over a girl, Kira, who married Og and lived happily ever after with him until dying in a car accident.
- Now back to our regularly scheduled adventure.
- Aech finally gets hold of Parzival, gushing about what a hero Parzival is going to be. He also says that he's deduced the location of the Copper Key himself.
- They're a little worried that I-r0k might figure it out too, and spill the beans to the whole world (and IOI) that the key is on Ludus.
- As a friendly tip, Parzival tells Aech to brush up on his Jousting skills.
- After Aech races off to claim his own copy of the Copper Key, Parzival gets a message from Art3mis.
- They exchange a couple flirty messages as the chapter comes to a close.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...