Ready Player One
Ready Player One Chapter 19 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Back in the real world, Wade takes us through his daily outside-the-OASIS routine.
- He's outside-proofed his apartment, ordering all his food online, replacing his door with an impenetrable airlock, and spray-painting the windows black to keep the sunlight out.
- For companionship, he's purchased a life-sized UberBetty doll, with "all of the attendant appendages and orifices one would imagine" (19.15). His pleasure with it is short-lived.
- After giving us a run-down of his opinion on masturbation (he's for it), he introduces us to Max, his system agent software, which is kind of like a digital butler.
- It's modeled after Max Headroom.
- Each morning, Wade goes through a work-out routine including sit-ups, crunches, push-ups, the works, because he had grown too fat to fit into his haptic suit, a full-body suit that lets its user feel the OASIS.
- During his workout, he sings a variety of '80s songs, saying "having the right '80s song lyric memorized might save my avatar's life someday" (19.45). A bit of foreshadowing, perhaps?
- To help the suit fit better, Wade's removed all his body hair. Even his eyebrows. Who knew the ideal of beauty in 2045 would be Whoopi Goldberg?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...