Ready Player One
by Ernest Cline
Ready Player One Chapter 22 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Deep inside Archaide, Parzival discovers a place he didn't know existed: Happytime Pizza, a recreation of Halliday's childhood pizza joint.
- A variety of arcade games have been recreated inside, including a Pac-Man machine with a high score of 3,333,350 points. That's ten points shy of the fabled perfect score.
- Wade realizes he's found an Easter egg. Not Halliday's legacy egg, but a different one. He attempts to play a perfect game of Pac-Man. Halliday's game was the fastest ever, just under four hours. It looks like that record's been broken by this guy, who finished a perfect game in 3.5 hours in January 2012.
- When he plays the perfect game, Parzival is able to pick up a quarter that had previously been stuck to the machine. He has no idea what the magic quarter does, but you can bet he's gonna hang onto it.
- After the game, he has an e-mail from Aech, who has also claimed the Jade Key. Attached is an image of the instruction manual for the classic PC game Zork.
- Wade knows that the planet Frobozz is home to a detailed recreation of Zork, so off he goes.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...