Discussion & Essay Questions
Available to teachers only as part of the Teaching ReconstructionTeacher Pass
Teaching Reconstruction Teacher Pass includes:
- Assignments & Activities
- Reading Quizzes
- Current Events & Pop Culture articles
- Discussion & Essay Questions
- Challenges & Opportunities
- Related Readings in Literature & History
Sample of Discussion & Essay Questions
- What was the biggest surprise of Reconstruction?
- That white Southerners violently resisted?
- That the freedmen proved very capable of exercising political power and holding office?
- That some of the Reconstruction Era governments were corrupt?
- That the federal government had to aggressively intervene in order to protect the freedmen?
- That eventually Northerners and the federal government largely walked away?
- That by the end of the century Northerners and Southerners had united behind a narrative that cast white Southerners as victims?