The Red Badge of Courage
by Stephen Crane
The Red Badge of Courage Chapter 12 Summary
- This is a great chapter because something happens here that changes everything. (This is called a "catalyst" – but you probably already knew that.)
- Anyway, as Henry is standing there woolgathering, tons of soldiers start running in his direction.
- Henry wants to know what in the thunder is going on. He grabs one soldier and tries to get him to tell him.
- The soldier is all freaked out from fighting, so he takes a whack at Henry, beaming him a huge one on the dome with the butt of his rifle.
- Henry falls to the ground like a shot deer (or something similar). He reels around like a sick cat (or something similar).
- Henry, who is now pretty much out of it, wanders around with these other injured soldiers. He follows them as it gets dark, even though he has no idea where in the thunder he’s going.
- All of a sudden a "cheery soldier" (also known as a literary device) comes up to Henry and happily and perkily leads him back to his rightful regiment, leaving before Henry can ever see his face.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...