The Red Badge of Courage
by Stephen Crane
The Red Badge of Courage Chapter 20 Summary
- Henry remembers the mule driver comment and yells at his fellow officers to keep going, but they are tired and sick of fighting.
- Things are looking grim.
- Wilson says, "Well, Henry, I guess this is goodbye." Henry looks at him and says, "Oh, shut up, you damned fool!" (20.17). (What a war-beast!)
- The fighting gets even more fierce and desperate.
- Suddenly, the bullets cease whizzing and the rifle shots quit zinging.
- The Confederates have turned their gray-coated tails and run.
- The Union troops look at each other in amazement and joy.
- "And they were men" (20.31). (What an end line! Crane, you old show-boater.)
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...