The Red Badge of Courage
The Red Badge of Courage Chapter 5 Summary
- Suddenly someone yells, "Here they come!" And sure enough, the Confederates rush at Henry’s group of soldiers.
- Henry surprises himself by totally forgetting his own fear. He shoots and reloads like a madman. He feels as if he is a part of something large and multi-bodied (sort of like the Borg, only less Star Trek-y).
- There are many excellent descriptions of the injured dead and dying. Really gruesomely gorgeous stuff.
- When one soldier tries to run away, the lieutenant beats him up.
- When it is over, Henry feels weary, but proud at seeing the Union flag still flying.
- He is also amazed to see that the sun is still shining; that nature takes no notice of the bloody deeds done on its tranquil soil. (Because nature doesn’t really give a thunder.)